|Associate Member of the American Society of Ocularists|
History of Artificial Eyes: Langdon M. Henderlite
Langdon M. Henderlite
Langdon Henderlite, August 2002
|Langdon Henderlite, who was a Richmond native, was born to Langdon M. Henderlite, Ph.D.DD. and Courtney Edmond (Frischkorn) on April 12, 1925. Langdon's father was a missionary, and he spent considerable time in Brazil, South America. Langdon's first visit to Brazil was at age five, and he attended school in both Brazil and in Richmond.|
Langdon was hired
at Galeski Optical as an apprentice in 1953. Along with Clyde Andrews,
Mary Holt and Bob French, Langdon was an important contributor to the
infamous "Galeski Eye."
In 1955, to service
the needs of Galeski's growing clientele, Langdon was designated the
"traveling eye man" for Galeski. A few of his travel points
included: Norfolk, Virginia; Roanoke, Virginia; Charlottesville, Virginia,
Winston-Salem, North Carolina; Bluefield, West Virginia and Huntington,
The 1950's and 1960's were an incredible changing climate for ocular prostheses. Stock glass prostheses were still being fitted, and the area of western Virginia and West Virginia relied on stock prostheses. The traveling eye man was very welcome to the ophthalmic community in these areas.
to be a significant eye maker in Richmond and the surrounding area,
and became a member of the American Society of Ocularists in 1960, three
years after its inception. He became board certified in 1980.
Langdon enjoyed a forty-five year career in the field of making custom ocular prosthetics. He is fondly remembered as "Red" (for his orange-red hair) and for his humor and compassion for those distraught over having lost their eye.